Thursday, January 8, 2009

Readers' Poll!

Consider this our first ever Readers' Poll (do we even have any readers?):

Are spices a condiment?

I'm going for a big 'CERTAINLY!' primarily because I would like to include them within the gaggle of things about which we blog. I would also like to point out that dictionary.com (which is citable as a reference, and has been quoted in legal opinions) defines condiment as:

something used to give a special flavor to food, as mustard, ketchup, salt, or spices (Random House, 2006); or

a substance, such as a relish, vinegar, or spice, used to flavor or complement food (The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, 2006); or

something used to give relish to food, and to gratify the taste; a pungment (sic) and appetizing substance, as pepper or mustard; seasoning (Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, 1996).

So if you'll notice, all of the above clearly include spices within the definition of condiment. Alas, I'll leave the ultimate decision to our readers (who will do me the honor of commenting pretty please!).

2 comments:

Tim said...

I vote yes on this. Spices might or might not be strictly considered a condiment but they are close enough. Its a gray area that can exploited for content.

Unknown said...

I think that this blog would work well as defining condiment as anything that could be used as a flavor, smell, or texture additive to an existing food or dish. SO yes on spice. My definition also includes Xanthan gum and polysorbate 80.